Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday Confessional

So I saw this on Emma's blog and loved it so I decided to do one too!

So I really kind of thought that I had this Mom thing in the bag like I was finally at a point that I could handle all the ups and downs that is accompanied with having little ones around. If not in the bag than I at least felt like I was doing an all right job of it. Yeah, being a mom is harder than I thought it would be and I will be the first to admit it. Being a Mom to Sydney is hard. Being a Mom to Sydney and a new born is much harder. You never know what each day will bring, laughter or tears, pain or happiness, love beyond belief, or moments that I want to rip my hair out and list my children on e-bay to the highest bidder.

I don't know exactly what it is, but I am having a hard time with my energetic little two year old. She is into EVERYTHING!!! Sydney is into this curious stage where she needs to get into, climb on, open, spill, touch everything. Everything has to be done NOW, and if not she falls on the floor and cries. Of course I don't give in to her tantrums, but how do you explain to a two year old the concept of "wait just a minute". Everyday she does more and more naughty things until I wish that I had a straight jacket to put her in. Today for example she colored all over the bathroom with bathtub crayons while I took a shower. She opened up the flour container and threw handfuls of flour at the kitty. She was painting with watercolors and started painting on the wall. She wanted to swim in her pool and by the time I had it filled and had changed her into her swim suit she refused to play in it(all this while Brock was screaming in the background). She picked up the kitty from the table and threw her on the floor. I feel like I have no control over anything. Every day is like this and I feel like I am just going to one mess after another doing damage control. Time outs don't even seem to phase her. In fact sometimes she lays in the corner and pretends to sleep during her timeouts.

Please tell me that this is what every two year old is like because I am starting to feel like I must be the only one and I am the worst mother ever. Is she to spoiled? Is she used to getting everything she wants and all of my attention and that is why she is acting like this? Please I need answers so that I don't feel like I am the only one with a child that is out of control.

Sydney has always been a very strong spirited little girl. I believe that she has to be to deal with the many physical trials that she will have in the future and that she had in the past. She was born this way, she was a fighter from her very first breath. How do I channel her spirit and energy into better outlets? Where do I find the time to channel her energy? Brock takes up so much of my time. I love the little guy to pieces but he is a very fussy baby and needs to be held constantly or he gets very upset. Usually he lest me put him down for one of his naps during the day. That gives me enough time to maybe shower, get Sydney ready for the day and do a little bit of cleaning, some days I don't even get that much done. Sometimes I feel like I don't even have time to breathe between the both of them. Today I didn't even have time to eat lunch or dinner. As I am typing this Brock is downstairs screaming his guts out with Seth and I am to so physically and emotionally drained that I don't even want to go downstairs and deal with it.

So to all you Mommy's out there with more that one baby(and those of you that don't), How do you do it? What are your secrets? How can I have more patience with my little girl? Any and all advice would be wonderful!

***Sorry for such a downer post!****

6 comments:

Heather said...

Don't give up!! And hang in there!! When I was pregnant with our second, a friend passed on some advice from her doctor. He had told her once her baby was born that no matter what, every 10-15 minutes, acknowledge, praise, or build up your other child. The oldest child is the only one who will ever have the knowledge of what it was like with just Mom and Dad around. Sydney's probably doing her best to get some attention, so if you can find ways of giving it to her before she has to seek it, maybe it will help. I know it helped a lot for my friend, and I'm sure it will help us out in the next few months here, too. Also, maybe it might help if you set aside some special time just for you and Sydney? Or you and Seth could take turns taking her on a date once a week? Two is such a hard age because they want to be so independent, but they still need you so much. It'll get better, I promise!!
As for Brock, have you had him checked for silent reflux? Brinlee was the same way...always had to be held, screamed at the top of her lungs, incredibly fussy. I took her to three different doctors, then I heard about the silent reflux, talked to our old pediatrician, and he prescribed her some Axid over the phone. She was an entirely different baby the next day, and kept getting better after that. Her little tummy would do the reflux thing, but the spit-up wouldn't come out, so it would burn on the way up and on the way back down. I don't know...may be something to look into.
It would be fun to get the kiddos together one of these days, actually. Brin's in need of some friends her age!

Emily Orison said...

Sydney sounds like a regular 2-year old to me. I've found that I just have to let some things go. I'm never going to have the house as clean as I did before kids, and there's always going to be crayon on the wall somewhere in the house. I also try to stop rushing to clean up their mess they just made (unless it makes permanent stains) and deal with the child first. Most 2 year olds aren't ready for time outs with their short attention spans they forget why they are being punished in the first place. (but every child is different) You could try taking a time out together and have a cooling off period. (or just have a mommy time out) For me personally I've found a pinch on Ashton's bum rather effective in stopping a tantrum(I know Supernanny would not agree) As far as a 2 year old and a newborn I'm no help there, that's a combination I've tried to avoid. But don't worry, I think every mother has their insecurities about how well they are doing, and you are doing a wonderful job and you are a wonderful mother to 2 beautiful babes.

Crystal said...

my comment was getting wayyyy too long so i'll just email you :)

Emma said...

The more I hear about others kids and problems, the more i appreicate my own. I think Heavenly Father gives us what we can handle with our children, I know that if I would have had to deal with all the physical things you have had to deal with.. It wouldn't have been so amazingly as you did.
Your a good Mom & have far more patience & faith then most. I admire that.

Christina said...

The first few months after Elle was born were incredible hard and difficult. I didn't know if I was going to make it some day. But as we started getting into more of a routine both Amber and Elle started doing better. I know that part of my struggle with Elle was trying to make her fit into the schedule that Amber had when she was a baby. It took me some time to figure her out and what she like and didn't.

As for Sydney her world has just been turned upside down. First she has to compete for attention with Brock and second she doesn't get to play with any of the babysitting kids as much. It is hard for them to adjust. Once I was brave enough to start going out and about again after Elle was born Amber did better because that was what she was used to doing. I am sure you don't want to start babysitting again everyday but maybe if you try getting out of the house every couple of days it would help. Sydney (all of you) are welcome over here anytime. Before you put her on ebay send her over for a while. It is getting better I promise.

Eva's Mom said...

Evelyn is struggling with the intruder in our midst as well. One thing that helps: a front pack baby carrier. Oliver sleeps away while I make dinner, take Evelyn to the park, wash the dishes, etc... Of course, I can't take a shower with him in it, but I can do lots of other things.

Evelyn has learned to sit next to me and turn the pages of her books when I say beep so I can hold Oliver when he's fussy (That took a bit of getting used to).

My very wise friend told me to tell Evelyn how much Oliver likes her...all the time. If I'm holding O., I give E a running commentary on how much he admires whatever it is she's doing and how much he wants to do it too.

It gets better.