Sometimes I feel that I try to paint this perfect little picture on my blog. I blog of happy things, swimming, trips to the zoo, and funny things that Sydney has done. I am not sure why I feel the need to paint such a picture, I never really blog anything about me, maybe thats because blogging about Sydney and all her cuteness is safe, and me..... in all my turmoil.... is so not safe!
The Truth.......
I am terrified that I will fail as a mother to Sydney. She needs so much, not only does she need all the things that most children need, she needs more. Somehow I am supposed to teach this tiny little trusting child the scary reality that she will need regular open heart surgeries. Somehow I need to teach her that although she is going to have many many trails, that if she is strong and stays close to her Heavenly Father, he will bless her and help her get through them. Somehow I need to teach her to love her self, and to have confidence in herself and in her body. Yes, her tiny little chest has to many scars to even count, but somehow I want to teach her to be proud of all those scars, for they tell a story. A story about how she almost died as a baby but managed to find the strength at just two weeks old to not only keep living but to impress the doctors with her strength and love of life.
I am terrified that I wont be able to teach Sydney to have all the many qualities that she will need to survive these surgeries. I don't even possess these qualities, so how on earth am I supposed to be able to teach them to my daughter. One of my deepest fears is that Sydney will take on all my weaknesses. I have so many of them, they keep me from being truly happy.
I am terrified that my fears for Sydney's future will somehow transfer to her. I know that I need to deal with my fears now before Sydney gets to much older, but it is so hard to face the reality that my daughter will have many more risky surgeries in her future, and somehow I have to prepare her for them. We fought so hard to get this special spirit into our family, to have her almost die when she was a baby was the hardest thing that I have every gone through in my life!
Lately I have noticed the impact that all of these fears has had on my life, on my relationship with my husband and in my relationships with family and friends. I am so tired of dealing with them day in and day out! Recently we had a Relief Society lesson about Mother's who know(I sat and cried the entire lesson). I realized that I am not a mother who knows, instead I am a mother who runs and hides from her problems, hoping beyond hope that when I finally decide to stop hiding that all my fears and problems will have all gone away. I realize how unhealthy that this is and I am making a new goal not to hide from my problems and fears. I know that this is going to be a vary hard thing for me to do but if I want to be the kind of mother that Sydney deserves, facing these hard things will be well worth it in the end! I only hope and pray that I have the strength that it will take to deal with the many things that I have been running from for so long. So there you have it, the truth, I am sorry to have unloaded it all right here on my blog but it feels better to stop hiding and vent a little!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
I honestly thought that post was beautiful. And I honestly think that you are WAY stronger than you give yourself credit for. Having children is a way for the Lord to help us grow to be stronger and better people, and it works! You're doing an amazing job, and I admire you!
Hey sister. You are a great mom! I watch what you have done with your sweet little Sydney and I know that she was sent to you because you are strong enough to be the mother she needs. You are pretty awesome! And you have come so far even with all that you have faced. I am truly inspired by you!
Love you!
Julie
What that the talk by Julie Beck? I loved that talk and re-read it monthly to recommit myself! I think the task of raising kids--and for me and you, girls--can be daunting, but I think that we will grow and become the kind of mothers that our girls need at the times and ages they are. I am a way better mom than I was when Olivia was one and Elsa was just a plan in the future, and I still have a lot of growing to do to deal with school-age and teenage kids for sure!
I agree with the other two posts, you are stronger than you think, and even your posts on the "superficial" things shows strength, the optimism to keep moving forward and enjoy your days a little bit even though the stress is so high, and you are showing Sydney that optimism, hope and love of life and the Gospel are important by doing those things, even if you feel like you are "faking it" some days. You both are amazing and I admire you both!
BTW I'm marriage related to Gracie Gledhill. My husband's aunt (by marriage--married to his mom's brother) is Gracie's aunt, Katie Evans. I saw her link on your page. Small world, for sure! And on that note, isn't Gracie AMAZING! These strong babies, I am in constant awe.
Yes, I agree with everyone else...You don't give yourself enough credit! I think every mother has a fear of raising their children in the world that we live in. Heavenly Father wouldn't give you a trial you can't handle. I believe you will only be more blessed by the trials that come your way:)
Caralee.........the hardest thing people face is not facing the truth. You are! That is a big step that most of us never take! I think you are braver than you think! I can't imagine the things you have gone through. As a parent, we all have struggles and weaknesses that come out that we fear to face.......but you are looking at them face to face. I think the Lord has our weaknesses shine at times, 'cuz He knows what we need to get back to Him. We give our hearts away when we have children and it's really painful to see all that they have to face physically, mentally, emotionally. I feel very overwhelmed all the time at my responsibilities to my girls.. You aren't alone in wanting to hide from problem and fears, I do it too. But, I look to my hubby, you guys' blogs, and my savior for strength(thank goodness He knows everything). There's a reason she was prolonged....she is strong.....and I believe she gets that from you! THank you! You'll never know how much moms needed this entry!
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts, I think that every comment made me cry! I am truly blessed to have so many blogging friends!
Brandi-I recently joined the same support group that Gracie and her family are in for babies born with heart defects. Reading about Gracie and all the other new babies is kind of the reason I have decided that I need to face my fears about Sydney now so that in the future I am better able to help her. I agree with you though, Gracie is amazing. One thing I have noticed is that these heart babies are fighters and stronger than a lot of people can even imagine!
Everyone has just hit it perfect! Heavenly Father knows you, he knows you can raise this beautiful little girl. She was sent here to make you stronger than you ever thought that you could be. That may be her main purpose in this life, to make you realize that you are strong, and capable of this trial. You two are a great team. You both need each other to make you the strongest people you can be! She needs you, and you need her! You are both very lucky!
Carolee, you are so amazing. I just have stood in awe of you so many times. You have much to offer...sit back, relax and just deal with life as it happens, laugh when you can, know that this is just a hallogram that is set up to see who and what we are and to prove to ourselves that we are worthy to be called Heavenly Father's child. We are, you see it in Sydney's face, your husbands' eyes, your family's strength. It is all around you. Embrace it and cherish each day as they go very quickly and they teach you how much you mean to HIM. Just honor him and keep his name on your lips and in your heart-you will not fail. All because, you know...
I think everyone has insecurities as a mother, but you are doing a wonderful job. Sydney is so lucky to have such great parents!
Caralee, you do have hard road ahead of you, but you ARE a mother who knows. You have a testimony of our Heavenly Father's love, you have a testimony of the power of prayer, and you have a testimony of the power of the priesthood. Use that to prepare Sydney for the trials she will face. You are an AWESOME mother, and Heavenly Father wouldn't have sent somebody so special to you if he thought you weren't the person to help her through these tough years ahead. I can't even imagine the stress you must be under, but never forget the things you learned while Sydney was fighting for her life, never forget how much stronger of a person they made you, no matter how hard they may have been. You are strong, and Sydney has your strength, and she will continue to rely on that strength. You are her mother and she loves you! And, so do I! Don't despair! And if you really feel like your reaching a breaking point fall to your knees and let the Savior take on your burden. He is the only person who truly understands exactly how you feel and what you're going through, and he can help you!
I don't know how I can add to what everyone else has said! I agree with it all.. Most of all, yay for blogging about something that isn't all "pretty"! I think that there are so many mothers out there that have similar worries. You are amazing, and God has given you Sydney for a reason.. you are the only one that can meet her needs! Just know that you are an example for many others!
The very fact that you have posted this, all your fears & feelings of inadequacy totally shows us what a good Mom you are.
Remember, Sydney choose you to be here Mom, every part of you. She knew what she was up against & Heavenly Father knew that you would be the best Mom for her!
You are so much stronger then you think you are...as parents to these amazing heart kids, we sometimes question ourselves...and yes it is alot of work and yes there are so many things that to their future are unknown, but as I have learned to just take the enjoyment of Sydney day by day. In the beginning I would always think of the future and finally our Cardiologist told me to think of the here and now and just stop worrying about tomorrow's ifs and whens. It is definitely a learning process. I know that this is a guys prospective, but it helped me grow into the father that I am today and I never miss a chance to share those special moments with Brinley doing something fun or whatever...
Hugs,
Mike & Family
I agree - give yourself more credit. HF blessed you with Sydney, because YOU are the mother she was meant to have and YOU are the women/mother that will be able to teach her what she needs. You need to trust HF that you DO carry the strength and traits that a mother for Sydney has! YOU ARE STRONG ENOUGH! Believe that - HF KNOWS IT!
What a beautiful, amazing person you are, Caralee! I admire you so much for your honesty, courage and optimism! I totally echo what your other friends have already said. Heavenly Father know YOU personally and what you're feeling. Sydney is truly a miracle! I know she wasn't sent to you by mistake. You are the perfect mother to help her realize as she gets older that her scars aren't ugly, but that they represent what a miracle she is! I love ya girl! Thanks for being my friend and a great example!
Hey Caralee! Your little Sydney is such a cutie pie! It's soo nice that we have the blogging thing to keep us updated on what's going on in each others lives. It's brave of you to post about your own fears - but by doing that we realize that we all face similar stuggles and insecurites. I hope to keep in touch with you.
You are a great mom and Sydney is an amazing little girl!
I know you love kids books so I'll throw in a quote from Christopher Robin, “Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. ”
Caralee,
Truly what has been echoed above is truth. I know that Sydney Jo personally chose you as her Mom because she knew you were the ONE who would be perfect for her. I know because I feel we all did that with our own Moms. Trust that. Trust yourself. Remember: perfect love casteth out all fear. Trust in the source of perfect love, and your fears will be stilled. I love you! Thanks for your honesty.
Oh I am sure you are doing a good job being Sydney's mom!! These heart kids are so special, and the relationship with them is indescrible. Kate could possibly have another surgery when she is maybe around five, and I think it was such a luxury that she didn't know what was going on when she had the first!! But I know one day she will ask about her "zipper" and we may have to prepare her for another OHS and I wonder how I will keep it together??? The cardiologist says,"dont worry about it until you have to" and I try to live in that mentality, but how do you not worry???? Who knows!
Although you don't know who I am, I thoughtI would leave you a comment anyway. I found your blog from Gracie's. You have to be an AWESOME mom for dealing with all the trials that you've had to put up with. You are a role model to me and I know i could never do something like you do everyday. Your daughter is beautiful and thank God every day for her. I'm sure if she understood she would thank Him everyday for you!
Much Love and Many Prayers~
Allysa Barkdoll
thebarkdollfam.blogspot.com
Post a Comment