Friday, July 25, 2008

24th Fun!

The 24th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. We started out waking up very early to go and have breakfast at my parents house. The tradition has always been on the 24th for my Dad to give all the kids(even the grown up ones!) five dollars to spend throughout the day. Then we went and watched the Washington City parade that my nephew Tolman was in with all the rest of the kids in his primary. Sydney had fun eating the candy that was thrown, but didn't really like all the loud noises from the police cars and the fire engines.

We then went to the park, walked around in the muggy heat and ate snow cones. My sisters and I challenged my Dad and my two brother-in-laws to a tug of war. With my Dad on the apposing side we had no chance of winning, but that was not going to stop us from trying. I refused to let go of the rope even as I was drug about 10 feet across the ground. I have a huge bruise under my arm from the rope! Despite the heat I have always loved the 24th of July celebration in the park, it never seems to change and hold so many good memories for me from when I was a kid.

My favorite memory of the day was entering Sydney into the 1 year girls race. I stayed with Sydney at the starting line and Seth went to the finish line. Sydney was so confused at first, she had no idea why I was making her stand in this line of little girls. She caught on when she saw her Dad at the finish line, I literally had to hold her back until they said go. Sydney was on a roll at first running as fast as she could for her Daddy.When Sydney was about half way finished, out of no where a cute little butterfly fluttered across her path. Now a butterfly is a lot more interesting than running to find her Daddy at the finish line. So Sydney stopped running, turned and started to follow the butterfly as it fluttered around the grass! She ran after that butterfly for a few seconds until she heard her Daddy calling her name, she then ran as fast as she could into his arms. It was so cute watching her stop and follow that butterfly across the grass and I am kicking myself for not having my camera with me.(Yes I am still having a problem with my brain not working!)

Later we went to see the movie Wall-E. It was different from other Pixar movies, it had very little speaking in it, but both Seth and I thought it was cute. Sydney liked it, she sat still(thanks to the popcorn) and watched most of it. To end the perfect day out with our family we decided to go to Cafe Rio for dinner, Yum!


About half way through the day I remembered to finally get out the camera and take a few pictures of our fun day.





10 comments:

Catherine said...

That is SO cute that she started chasing that butterfly in the middle of the race! She looks beautiful as usual. And you and Seth look great too. What a happy little family!

amie morris said...

Isnt it nice to have family around. The first pic. of Sydney looks like Mary Ann.

Julie said...

If I had been there to help with the tug of war we totally could have taken them on. We are strong girls! Wish we could have been there. Missed you guys!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a fun day! Caralee, your hair looks really cute curly.

Morgan said...

That is so funny about the butterfly! Sounds like something from a movie or something....cue the sappy music.

McDuffie Family said...

HOw fun! I love traditions, they create some of the best memories to cherish! I love the butterfly race! So cute! Cute family!

Robin Keith said...

The 24th is a great day. Stephen worked, Micah and Sarah had been gone for a day, the neighbors went to Greece and so I just quilted. Macy is in SLC. Very quiet. Sydney looks great. hang in you guys. Love,love,love your blog. thanks for putting in the time to do such a great job.

Carlos said...

Sounds like so much fun! We didn't do anything for the 24th...Carlos worked - extra hours too! And I spent the day doing homework! Your's sounds much more fun :)

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Amy Baker, and I found your blog on intermountain healing hearts hope you don't mind. I am pregnant and my little boy will have the same heart problem. my blog is set to private so if you want to look at it just e-mail me your e-mail addy and I will send you an invite. bakerca1205@hotmail.com