Monday, September 1, 2008

Eggs and saying Momma!

I mentioned in previous posts that Sydney loves cooking with Mommy, especially when Mommy is using eggs. I finally got a video clip of how excited that she gets when we are breaking the eggs open. You can't tell by the squeal in her voice but she is saying "three" and "eggs" as I am breaking them open. I keep waiting for the day that Sydney manages to get into the fridge my herself and decides to "Cook" with all the eggs without Mommy's help!



Sydney had always been a Mommy's girl, that is until she learned to say Daddy. Then she only remembered that she had a Mommy when she was hungry, tired or sad and only then did she prefer her Mommy to her Daddy. Sydney would squeal out his name when he would walk through the door at the end of the day. Her whole face lighting up and then she would run into his arms and cling to his neck! She even went as far as to stop saying my name, which by the way was her first word. Sydney would sign Mommy(When asked to!), but when asked to say Mommy, she would yell out Daddy. Sydney thought that this was a very funny game and would usually giggle after words because she knew that it drove her Mommy crazy.

I have tried everything I could think of to get Sydney to say Mommy. Every book, song, or movie we watched, I would make sure to point out all the mommy's, but still Sydney refused to say Mommy. That is until Saturday!

A few weeks ago I started babysitting full time again, I babysit a 22 month old girl, four days a week. Another 18 month old girl, twice a week. And a four year old girl twice a week. Sense these little girls have been coming over Sydney has been so jealous of the time her Mommy is spending taking care of these little girls. She even goes as far as pulling me into a different room so that she can have me all to herself. Of course this makes me a little sad that Sydney is feeling so out of place, and I wish that I could explain to Sydney that her Mommy loves her the very most. That I hate having all the special one-on-one time that we had over the summer taken away from her.

The only good thing that has come out of all this jealousy is that I am once again the favorite! Yes thats right I.AM.THE.FAVORITE! I love the way that this little girls entire face lights up when I am around, and how she sometimes cries when she can't be with me. I love the way that she says Momma! Hearing her say my name for the first time in 7-8 months just about made my heart melt into a puddle right there on the floor. I held out my arms to her and she ran straight into them, and wrapped her arms around my neck. There was nothing in the world better than holding her there inside the circle of my arms, especially after hearing her call out my name! I truthfully hope that this trend continues and that I keep being her favorite. I know that she loves her Daddy too, but it is just nice having some of her affection aimed in my direction.

13 comments:

Carlos said...

She is getting so big! The video of her watching you crack eggs is priceless!! I'm glad she is saying Mamma again too! What a cute little stinker!!

Julie said...

So I have a question about the way you crack eggs (I have never seen eggs cracked that way). What happens when you need to crack your last egg and you don't have any more to crack them with? Just curious. :)

I always love to be the favorite too, although last night when Sammy wanted to sleep in our bed and only by me and half the time on top of me I was wishing that Daddy was the favorite for that moment... Oh well...

Alyssa said...

Cute! I guess I'll start to be grateful instead of annoyed that Ian runs around the house randomly yelling "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" at the top of his lungs for many hours out of every day... :)
As for the fridge thing...I didn't want to wait for Ian to "cook without me," so I invested in a $3 fridge lock at Wal-Mart.
Man, this comment makes me sound like a cranky pregnant woman with a toddler. Oh wait. I am. :)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Isn't it so fun being the favorite! haha :) Right now I am for sure the favorite... but that is probably the biggest reason I'm nervous to give up breastfeeding. I hear once you aren't their food source, then they go straight to their dad. Being the favorite is the best! hehe :)

Shay Tayler and Levi said...

I love that video, it's super cute! that's nice that she says mamma again, i love being called mom by sweet little voice. I'm not sure that i'll be able to handle an absesstion with My Little Pony, tayler spits when when she sees horses. lol

LeeAnn said...

I noticed that you have posted about Sydney and Signing Time. Well, I just wanted to say thank you by sending you the screener for our upcoming Baby Signing Time 3 & 4 DVDs that will be released in October. We also wanted to know if you would be interested in reviewing the new DVDs and writing something about it on your blog.

If you are interested in receiving the screeners, please contact contest@signingtime.com with the subject line: Blog review. In the body, please include your full name, complete address, blog URL and phone number.

If you review the product, you also have the opportunity to be entered into our Blog contest, where you could win the Baby Signing Time Gift Set that includes Baby Signing Time 1,2,3,4 and accompanying music CDs. For more information about the blog contest, please visit: http://www.signingtime.com/blog/2008/09/blog-competition/.

McDuffie Family said...

HOw fun for you! Both of my girls are momma's girls..........especially Gracie! THey get jealous of each other at times, which isn't fun! It does make me feel special, but with another on the way, I feel exhausted:) I guess we must enjoy this time 'cuz sad as it sounds, one day they won't want me as much! Sydney is a cutie and I love that she loves cooking with you!

Unknown said...

She is so big. She looks all grown up, cooking and everything. WOW. I like it when I ("mama") am the favorite too.

Catherine said...

Cooking and baking with Emily is one of my very favorite things to do! Of course Syd adores you. We ALL adore you, Caralee. You're superwoman, babysitting all those kids with a special kind of compassion that only you have. You are unique!

Caden said...

I have awarded you a brainy blog award! Check my blog for directions. :)

Ashlea

carolyn q said...

I am glad that you are back to being Sydney's favorte. That is not taking anything away from her dad, but with all a mom does it's nice to know we are appreciated.

She is such a cutie!!!

Heart Hugs,
Carolyn

Kelton said...

This may sound weird, but watching this video reminded me of Seth.
Just as I remember him as a little kid: he loved to be involved with cooking and would get all giddy over the most seemingly mundane things. I remember he would squeal for joy over maple syrup. Our family bought real maple syrup a lot more than we could actually afford, but I think part of the reason was that Seth responded to it like it was Christmas morning, everytme a bottle was opened, and the cheap syrup didn't do the same trick. He took maple syrup with absolutely everything: milk, eggs, bread, cereal, noodles.
Spaghetti noodles were also so exciting to Seth, he would play with his cooked "spetti" until it disintegrated.
But most of all, and why this video reminds me of Seth was that (brace yourself!!)--Seth was absolutely fascinated with eggs! I recall that he once stuffed one in his diaper and it didn't get discovered until he got changed. Amazingly only cracked, not broken. We had to take the eggs out of the cartons and put them in the built-in egg holders in the old fridge door to keep them out of Seth's reach. Eggs absolutely fascinated Seth to no end.

Kelton said...

That last comment posted by Kelton Baker. (I seemed to have accidentally used the wrong Google account).