Monday, January 5, 2009

Oh Boy!!!

The first thought that went through my mind when we found out we were having a boy was, "What in the world am I going to do with a boy!" I grew up with 4 sisters and one brother. My little brother was born when I was ten so we really didn't spend a lot of time together. So really I have no clue what to do with a boy! Give me a room of giggling, sweet, energetic little girls and I feel right at home!

After raising a little girl for the past 2 years, a little boy is going to be a big adjustment. The only comfort that I have about getting this little boy is that Sydney is such a tom boy, so hopefully they will get along well. Sydney would rather play with puppies, cars, balls and rocks, then with baby dolls, Barbies, and princess things. I have tried buying her princess barbies, princess movies, dress ups and girly toys, but she really has no interest in them. The only reason that Sydney even likes her baby doll from Christmas, is because it cries nonstop when you take away its bottle or Binky. Sydney thinks that the baby crying is hysterical!

Boy names are so hard to come up with too! I can think of millions of girl names that I love, but boy names are just plain difficult! Originally the plan was that if we were to have a little boy we would name him Max, after Seth's grandpa. Unfortunately the very first thing my sister did when she found out that we were having a boy was come up to me, rub my belly and say, "Oh what a cute little maxi pad!" Right then and there Seth and I said there was no way on this green earth that we were going to doom our child with the name Maxi pad for the rest of his life. The problem with that is that we don't like any of the other boy names, as much as we like the name Max. But seriously I could never doom a little boy to a life time of being made fun of with an awful nick name like that looming over his head! Any suggestions on this part would be much appreciated!

As far as my pregnancy goes I am feeling SO much better! I finally figured out the cause of my constant contractions and cramping. A few months ago we were going through a lot of stress. It seemed like we were getting hit with trial after trial, and the stress was just piling on by the truck load! One day I found out some bad news and almost immediately I was having heavy contractions and cramping. I talked to my Doctor about getting on an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication. He thought that this sound like a really great idea and presto no more contractions! I must say that I am so much easier to live with now that I am medicated and Seth likes me a lot more too! The only problem with my medication is that it makes me feel full, so I am not eating as much as I know that I should. It makes me feel so bad after I finally remember to eat a full meal and little squirt starts moving around like crazy in my tummy as if to say, "Thank you Mommy for feeding me!" So I have to make it a constant effort to make sure I am eating more than just fruit,(which is all that I feel like eating) and try to eat some protein with every meal.

Anyway that is just an update on how this pregnancy is going because a few of you have been asking! I hope that everyone had an awesome New Year! BTW my new years resolutions this year is to #1 Have a baby! #2 Learn how to deal with having two kids!

Seriously I really don't have it in me to make any serious goals this year..... maybe next year..........

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that is great news! congradulions! Boys are really easy!

Emma said...

Congrats on a boy!! How fun to have one of both!

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

Congrats! Having one of both is fun. I had the same worries as you, but so far, so good!

Melenie said...

I like the name Max!

Hopefully everything will go smoothly when he gets here. I bet Sydney will love having a real baby around.

Catherine said...

Boys are a blast! You're going to love that little guy so much that everything will come naturally. And with Sydney's engergy and love of all things boy, they will be sure to be best buddies. Either way, you will continue to be an amazing mother, Caralee!

Crystal said...

Max is a fantastic name! But you're right, boy names are hard. I guess it's good that it only takes one that you like!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sister! You are so great with kids I'm sure this little boy will be a cinch for you. I remember back before you had any kids you always all you wanted were boys because girls come with so much drama (as you witnessed growing up in a house full of girls). Just think how much fun it will be! I am so excited to see him!
Mary

McDuffie Family said...

We've had a hard time with boy names too! You'll have so much fun! Two you'll be great with! Glad the pregnancy is going well! you deserve it! looks like you had a good christmas!

Emily Orison said...

I say name him what you want- because you can come up with an insult for any name that can be thought up.

I agree boys names are way harder. With boys names unlike girls names you have the "does it sound gay" factor. And you want something uncommon, but not too uncommon. Being around kids a lot the boys names I hear over and over are Brayden, Jaden, Caden, and Aiden. And the most popular boys names in Utah are Ethan, Jacob, Benjamin, Joshua, and Samuel. I'm sure this isn't that helpful. But whatever you guys pick I'm sure will suit him very well. Charles suggested you could name him Vaughn. (Like Sydney & Vaughn from Alias) or Bristow, or Sloane or Sark........ okay time for me to go to bed.

Spencer and Mindy said...

spencer and i have a list of boy and girl names!! haa haa! our problem is: do we wanna use this name this time or wait til the next one...haa haa

top 3 boys names:
Noah, Logan, Lucas

I love all three! and i agree with everyone, you've done a fantastic job with sydney so far, I'm sure a boy thrown in the mix, will be so natural for you! your a GREAT mom!!

Robin Keith said...

Hope you're doing well. Thanks for the update...we are excited for you.
Boys are so much easier than girls...just you wait and see...
love, keithklan

carolyn q said...

Just wanted to let Sydney now that I am thinking of her today with it being her Big 2nd Birthday. I hope that the day is wonderful.

I had just the oppisite problem with not having any real girl names picked. Scott came up with Hope before we learned of her health issues. Once we learned of them . .we never looked back at chosing that name for her. However I always knew I would have a little boy named Nathan and so when I found out I was having a girl first it really struck me as odd. But Nathan didn't waste much time in coming since he joined our family so soon after Hope's passing . .a gift from God I really needed. When we had Cole . .Scott picked the name and I was like "OK".
I am glad that you are feeling better. It's amazing what emotions and hormones can do to really mess you up.
By the way. . did your friend ever get that LadyBug Hoodie done? I will mail you the money. . just let me know and then next time I am down your way I can pick it up.
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn

Alyssa said...

Oh man! I am so behind on blogs! I am EXCITED you're having a boy! They're so much fun. And very simple and straight-forward too. So, you'll know exactly what to do with him when he comes. Sounds like Sydney will get along great with him! I am planning on giving you boy clothes that are lightly worn...we have too many!!!