Friday, August 7, 2009

Diagnosis

Well 3 different doctors, 2 sets of x-rays, and a blood draw(that was fun) later and we finally found out what was wrong with Sydney's leg.......

**click on the picture collage to see Sydney's way grump face in the bottom right corner! LOL!***

Yep the diagnosis is that her leg is broken. The new orthopedic doctor, Dr. Smith, said that it was something called a Salter(sp?) fracture. Basically damage done to the growth plate kind of like a sprain to the growth plate. Sydney picked a pink cast and she will get to wear it for the next 2-3 weeks.

Sydney is handling her cast as well as can be expected for Sydney. She has horrible balance with it on. She finds it almost impossible to walk across the wood floor because there is no traction. I went to Walmart last night and found a ballet slipper that I could fit over her cast to give her a little traction when she walks on the wood floor. Other than that she is still bouncing off the walls even more so because she cant get around like she used too. Anybody got any great ideas to keep a home bound two year old entertained?

12 comments:

Morgan said...

What a bummer!!!! At least it was finally figured out! So my suggestions for the little one are these:

-Hi Ho cherri-O game (hours of excuciating fun!)

-playhousedisney.com plays episodes of the shows

-library books

-tea parties (complete with water and chocolate chips!)

Good luck! I hope the next few weeks goes quickly!

Morgan said...

spell check would have been nice on that comment! *excruciating*

Carlos said...

Poor little girl! At least she got a bright pink cast out of it.

Heather said...

Do you guys have to be at home? We have a really cute little wagon that will fit a carseat and Sydnee if you guys want me to bring it by. It may help her just to get out of the house in something new. Let me know!

Recovery Guru said...

Heather that would be sweet!

Emma said...

Ah I knew it! That is what they called my fracture on my growth plate when I was a kid. I am glad you followed your gut and took her in again!
I hope the next couple of weeks go by quickly! I just got some color wonder finger paints for Andrina and they've been so nice to have! Try it for Sydney while she's laid up!

likeschocolate said...

That totally sucks, but at least they finally figured out what was wrong with her leg before real damage was done. My son broke his arm last fall not only was he miserable, but we were too because he was in so much pain that he criend all night.

Emily Orison said...

I can't believe it took 3 doctors to figure it out. Poor girl- hope she gets better soon.

Lori Cottam Zavoico said...

Poor little Sydney! Hope these weeks go by fast.. Good color pick for the cast =)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

What a cute little girl with a cast! haha :) I"m so glad a doctor was FINALLY able to figure out what was wrong! Hopefully she'll get a hang of having the cast on!

Williams Family said...

was ti doctor smith just up the road from us at the oink med building if so my dad is the P.A for him i was going totell u if u went anther doc and they said nothing was wrong then go to him well hopr u are ok with everything ket me know if u need help

Recovery Guru said...

Shay I think that I met your Dad. The P.A. was the one that put on Sydney's cast. He told me a story about when he used to take his kids to baskin robins and how one of his daughters always ordered cherry ice cream. Does that sound familiar at all?