Monday, August 30, 2010

I so am in trouble!

Take a close look at this face:


And this face:(totally awesome stink eye right?)
and this face:

Notice anything similar?

I do.

This is a face that I see regularly.
On a daily basis really.
This is the face of my 16 month old who acts like he is two.
The terrible two's to be exact.
He is a master at tantrums.
He has had tantrums sense he was 8 months old.
He is a green eyed monster if others have something that he wants. Or if, heaven forbid, his Mommy is holding another child.
He is very stubborn.
Once he sets his mind to something he will not stop until he gets it.
He refuses to hold my hand when we are out walking somewhere. If I do hold his hand I end up having to pick him up because he will immediately go boneless and fall to the ground.
He FREAKS if he gets sun in his eyes, but refuses to wear sunglasses.
He gets mad when I get him dressed or try to comb his hair.
He throws major tantrums over cookies. I think I have decided that I can't buy them anymore, just to stop the crying at the pantry door.
He is super attached to his binky. Heaven help me when we try to take it away!
He refuses to use his signs even though I know he knows them, and he knows that I know that he knows them. Usually I know what he wants and he knows that I know what he wants but I really really want him to communicate in some way other than pointing and crying. (did you catch all that)

This super winy phase is wearing my patience down. The day is soon coming that I am going to just walk away from his uber tantrums and not look back. I would use timeouts if I thought he was old enough to understand them. I am really trying to not give in to these behaviors but he is so much more focused and driven than Sydney ever was at this age. I really should not compare them but I don't think Sydney threw a real full on tantrum until she was about 2 1/2 years old.

One the other hand he has a super cute pouty face.

Because that stubborn streak that he has when applied he can do things that amaze me. He is obsessed with letters and knows about half of this alphabet and several of the letters sounds.

I have lost track of all the new words that he says, he is talking so much!!
He LOVES food and uses a spoon and fork like a pro.
He loves to color and thinks that when he is coloring that he is writing letters. As he colors he shouts out random letters and then looks up at me to make sure that I see him writing. It is very cute.
He loves music. Always has. The very first time I felt him move in my tummy was when I was singing to the radio, and I knew we would have a music lover in this little second born of mine.

And when he is happy the light in his big blue eyes and his bright smile just knock me flat.


Oh how I love this little boy of mine!!

Yes I am in trouble, deep trouble!

4 comments:

Tom and Juli said...

I think it's a boy thing. I can already see some of these characteristics in Clark. He has this high pitched scream that drives me crazy, and only uses it to be bratty.

Brock is so cute though! I love his little collared shirt! He does pull the best sad face too!

Sarah said...

just give the kid a cookie!!!!

Catherine said...

The "Love and Logic" techniques have SAVED me with both my kids, especially my emotional son who's also a pro at tantrums! They suggest you can do time out as early as 9 months old. When he's acting up, you just say, "So sad. Looks like a little bedroom time." Then you put him in his room so he can't get out. (I lock the door.)

You don't have to use a lot of words because the consequence speaks louder than words. Bad behavior means he can't be around friends and family. Simple as that. It took Jonny a few times to learn, but even now when he starts whining, I say, "I'll be happy to listen to you when you can use happy words." If he still acts up, I put him in his bedroom, and say the same thing as I did when he was younger, "So sad. Looks like a little bedroom time." Then he calms down the second I put him in his room because he realizes he wants to be with us. It gives him choice within the boundaries I set so we don't have power struggles anymore. And it's given me SO much more patience because I see his bad behavior as chances for him to learn a lesson rather than intentionally trying to make my life hell. lol

Good luck, Caralee! I know you can figure this out.

Mary Ann said...

Even his sad and crying pictures are so stinking cute! It is so fun to hear what that little boy is up to! Good luck on the tantrum thing! I wish I could go play at your house! Love you!