Monday, October 1, 2007

Picky Eater

Where most kids would love the Mom that let them eat candy, my child thinks that it is a form of torture! Sydney's aunt Sarah gave her a sucker the other day....... Sydney hated it! She made this horrible scrunched up face like we were the meanest people on the planet! Then she would cry, push our hands away and close her eyes tight, as if to say that if she couldn't see the offensive sucker it wasn't really there. We thought that her reaction was so funny! I tried to offer her another sucker today, this was how she reacted...

If ever we try to feed Sydney anything that she doesn't like this is the very same way that she reacts, like we are trying to feed her poison. The only baby food that this picky eater will eat is sweet potatoes, applesauce and carrots. She also likes to feed her self Nilla Wafers, crackers and Gerber fruit or veggie puffs. The other day I tried to trick her into eating squash,(since it is the same color as carrots and sweet potatoes) she took one bite shuddered and closed her eyes tight when I tried to offer her more! I am not sure what I am going to do with this picky girl.

Despite the fact that I am the meanest Mom on the planet for forcing my baby to lick a sucker, Sydney still had a smile for the camera!

12 comments:

Spencer and Mindy said...

oh that Video is so CUTE!! who's child really doesn't like suckers? come on!! ;) I'm sure that when i have kids, they will come out addicted....i loves me my sugar!!
she's Adorable!!

Recovery Guru said...

Mindy I know, I don't really understand how MY child can not like sugar! I am so addicted to sugar my first really word when I was a baby was sucker!! So you can just imagine my surprise when Sydney hates them!

Stephanie said...

that's hilarious!!! have you tried dum dums? my girls love suckers and of course flip out when they see them, they get so excited about them...you're not a mean mom, i sometimes feed my kids lemons just to see the sour face :)

Crystal said...

That is so funny! Her faces were hilarious in that video.

Keep trying to feed her lots of different things. Lincoln would totally gag sometimes on a new food, but after *several* tries, he would finally eat it. I've heard it takes like 10-15 times before babies/toddlers will accept a new food.

Julie said...

What a silly girl! How can she not like sugar? Really Sydney, we need to have a little talk you and I. She is dang cute though in her Halloween bib! Give her a candy bar from me.

Love,
Julie

Holly Woolsey said...

Ok...this may be way off, but a year ago my mom had both her knees replaced and ever since then she can't have soda. Her tastebuds have totally changed since then and she doesn't like the taste of her once regular pop. Maybe one day Sydney will start to like more things such as suckers and candy...

Jess said...

Okay, that is so funny!! Are you sure the suckers aren't sour or expired or something? I have seriously never even heard of a baby not liking sweets! Maybe we should all be like Sydney and stay away from the sugar!

Recovery Guru said...

Holly- I liked your theory! Sydney started out a great eater and then over night she suddenly wouldn't eat anything! I have been wondering if her taste buds are extremely sensitive for some odd reason.

Jessica-the suckers were just bought at the store a few weeks ago, so I don't think they were bad. I agree if we all hated sugar life would be so much easier!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

So funny and cute! That is crazy that she doesn't like suckers!

Carlos said...

Hey that was awesome watching you torture your baby :) haha, no that is odd, but still fun to watch. I'm sure when she gets older she'll grow to love them :)

Kristen said...

That is way cute. I have a similar video of Kate when she was around 5 months old, but I was trying to feed her carrots, not candy!

Haven said...

Awww...never knew a baby to turn down candy before! S sure doesn't. It's all about the, "More candy, please?" at this house. Luckily, we rarely have it. She'd be diabetic by the time she's three!