Attitude is everything. Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly, because Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Cider Mill
On our trip we went with my sister and her playgroup to a Cider Mill to see how cider is made, it was so cool! I loved watching the process that went into making all the cider, the kids also had a great time watching how the cider was made. We bought some cider after our tour and it was so yummy! The really sad part of our cider making experience was that the Cider Mill (that was 111 years old) burned down two days after our tour, we were probably the last group to see how the cider was made!
The cider making begins by the washing and rewashing of all the apples, the man said that to make really good cider they like about 10 different kinds of apples. Then the apples get put in a grinder that grinds them into small bite size pieces. The apples then get wrapped into a huge piece of cloth, they layer the cloth bundles of ground up apples until they are about 4 or five feet thick. The tower of apples then gets moved into the presser where they smash the tower until all the cider is removed. The cider then goes into a huge holding container were it is pasteurized and then sold in the stores.
This is a pictures of my niece Gracie looking at the left overs of the apple cider. This is all thats left of the apples after the cider making process, dried bits of skin and seeds that get sold as feed for cows and pigs and horses.
That's so sad the mill burned down!! I'm glad you got to see it before it burned. As you know from my potato harvesting post, I love stuff like this! :)
That was so cool to see! Everything is so accessable to us, it's hard to think of the work it takes into making it what it is. That's awesome you were able to go before it burned down! Do you think they will build again?
Ohh, I loves me my apple cider! That is terrible that you had to burn the place down so no one else could enjoy it. Very selfish of you. ;) But, wow. What a great experience!
A little girl can be sweeter (and badder) oftener than anyone else in the world. She can jitter around, and stomp, and make funny noises that frazzle your nerves, yet just when you open your mouth she stands there demure with that special look in her eyes. A girl is Innocence playing in the mud, Beauty standing on its head, and Motherhood dragging a doll by the foot. ~ Alan Beck
6 comments:
That is very interesting! Too bad the cider Mill burned down:(
That's so sad the mill burned down!! I'm glad you got to see it before it burned. As you know from my potato harvesting post, I love stuff like this! :)
Crystal, I was thinking of you when I made this post! I knew you would like it!
That was so cool to see! Everything is so accessable to us, it's hard to think of the work it takes into making it what it is. That's awesome you were able to go before it burned down! Do you think they will build again?
Ohh, I loves me my apple cider! That is terrible that you had to burn the place down so no one else could enjoy it. Very selfish of you. ;) But, wow. What a great experience!
how cool. so unfortunate that it burned down. You might know, what is the difference between apple juice and cider?
Post a Comment