Thursday, October 16, 2008

Monster Child

I am becoming more and more convinced that someone has taken my sweet, loving daughter and in her place left us with a monster child! I admit that I have not been the best Mommy in the world lately being sick and very tired. So yes Sydney has been getting away with more naughty things lately because it really is not worth the energy it takes to discipline her. Also because I haven't been feeling very well Sydney has been watching more movies and having less one on one time with me. So I can understand why the monster has began to come out in my darling daughter. She is doing it to get more attention from her dear mother.

For some reason this just dawned on me just today that she has been so naughty lately because it gets my attention, negative attention, but attention just the same. I feel so dumb having just figured this out. I have always prided myself in the fact that all my years working with special ed children I had gotten really good at figuring out behavior management, it just always made sense to me and seemed so easy to figure out. Yet here is my daughter doing exactly the things that I have been trained to prevent. I guess that half of the problem is just figuring out that there is a problem so that you can now come up with a plan to fix it......right?!? I am still working on that plan to rid my home of this monster child. I just hope and pray that I have the energy to keep up with whatever plan I put into place. I know that it will need to involve lots of positive reinforcement and more one-on-one time with Mommy and Daddy!
Sydney sitting in time-out
Time-out has become a more than daily occurrence at our house lately! Usually Sydney will sit for a little bit and then stand up and say "no-no" in a very serious voice. I am not sure if she is cussing me out for putting her in time-out, or if she is just repeating what I say to her just before she gets put in time-out. After the timer rings she then has to sign "sorry" and give me a hug and a kiss.

The other day I was sitting at the computer and Sydney closed the door to the room that I was in, shutting me in the room all by myself. After a few minutes I decided to come and check on her and this is what I found! Did I mention that Sydney has figured out how to open the child lock cupboards and drawers. Well yes she has figured that out and has been using her new found knowledge to get in all kinds of trouble.
I am sure that taking pictures of Sydney at the scene of the crime was pretty reinforcing and not helpful in anyway but I just couldn't resist snapping a few. I did make her pick up all the Q-tips off the floor after I was done taking pictures.(Please don't look to closely at the nasty carpet in our bathrooms....who came up with this idea was seriously crazy! Someday we hope to be able to tile them!)


Monster Child....or as my Mom refers to her as Cyclone Sydney!

9 comments:

Brandi Beaver said...

I take pictures when my kids do crazy naughty stuff, too. You are a great mom, and you are doing an awesome job especially for not feeling good. Sydney is dressed and has her hair done. That's better than I do when I'm not feeling good.

Jess said...

Haha, I am always taking pictures of my kids being naughy..But then I can't be mad at them.

PS three year olds are harder than two year olds...Good luck!

Julie said...

I am always to mad to take pictures of my kids when they are being naughty... Does that make me meaner than the rest of you? Hmmm... She really does look adorable getting into trouble! Love the Q-tip pictures. Hang in there sister. You are almost done with the first trimester! Love ya!

Julie

Catherine said...

Do you remember the picture I posted of Jon covered in baking flour? You wrote a comment to help remind us all that there's no reason to be upset when they don't understand what they're doing is bad. That has helped me a lot the last few months, but now, I think both Sydney and Jon are starting to figure out HOW to get our attention, even if it's negative attention, like you said. I know it can be so frustrating. But you nailed it right on the head, Caralee. More one-on-one time with mommy and daddy has always seemed to be the trick to helping my kids behave better and be happier. Way to go on having Syd clean up all the Q-tips. What a great mom you are!

McDuffie Family said...

Yay for being prego..........I hear ya on being tired and sick! Don't punish yourself too much on just figuring out what's going on with Sydney.......I swear I do the same thing! She's a very cute monster child I might add. Hey, I know we're not buddy buddy, but we live here both in the same town......and my girls love love love playing with "friends"(savanna calls that to just about anyone) and we would love to have a play date, so you can get some rest! I have had people do this for me......and that is really the only way we have made it so far! Please let me know.......mcduffiemom@hotmail.com

Recovery Guru said...

Tiffany
Thanks for your offer I may have to take you up on it sometime! There have been a few days when I wished so hard that I could just drop Sydney off somewhere so that I could just have an hour nap! We will have to trade, because I know that you must have those days too!

Carlos said...

Hey! Remember at work we'd always joke that it's easier to see those behaviors and stop them in other peoples' kids? (like Summer letting their daughter sleep with them cause she was grouchy) Don't worry, like Julie said you're almost out of the first trimester...and you could blame some of it on the "terrible twos" :)

Lori Cottam Zavoico said...

She is getting you ready for the terrible two's! I can't belive someone stole your halloween decorations! How rude!! Hope you get feeling better soon!

MAYBERRY said...

You'll be thankful later that you took these pictures. There have been times when I didn't take them when the kids were in trouble and now I wish I had.

I can't believe how much older she looks in these pictures. They can change so quickly.