I spread the bird seed out on the back fence and tons and tons of birds come every day to eat the seeds. I have even seen a Momma bird cracking the seeds open and feeding them to her baby birds. I have seen about 10-12 birds out there a time, they hop all over and sometimes get a little territorial and fly at some of the little birds so they will fly away and the bigger birds will get all the seeds.
I have to admit that the humming birds are and always have been my favorite!! I used to feed the humming birds as a teenager. My humming birds used to come back every year and they were very tame and used to me. They would let me stand right next to them while they drank their "juice" (as Sydney calls it) and once I even reached out and touched one. Sydney has loved the humming birds too! She knows them all by name(yes we named them) and when we leave the house she has to say goodbye to them.
Sorry about the grainy pictures they were taken through the window. Anyway we have at least three hummingbirds that come all day/every day, but I think that there are a few more but I can't tell them apart yet. The very first humming bird to come was very tall(for a humming bird) and skinny and has a white chest and gray body, we call him slim Jim. The second one that came to our feeder, has a black head and always looks in our windows. I don't know if he is just curious about us or if he is trying to make sure that it is safe for him to drink while we sit and watch him. I wanted to name him George(Curious George) but Sydney insisted that it's name was Kiki. So Kiki it is. The third one is green and kind of metallic, we named him Compass(after the bird on Curious George).I love watching these humming birds! Our whole family will just sit and watch them too, even Brock. It has been so fun! I can't believe that I haven't done it sooner! Give it a try, you wont be disappointed!!
1 comment:
That is so fun! Feeding birds is the best! I love the blue birds of happiness that come to my house!
Post a Comment