Monday, March 17, 2008

Heart Update

Last week was Sydney's cardiology appointment, and she passed with flying colors! Dr. Etheridge was again very impressed by Sydney, she could see just my looking at her that Sydney was healthy and happy! Dr. Etheridge was a little concerned about Sydney getting RSV and all the many other illnesses that she had this winter. She said that it was very typical of heart babies to have a low immune system and to get sick a lot, but she was very surprised when she learned that Sydney didn't need to be hospitalized for her RSV. Dr. Etheridge said that we need to try to keep Sydney as healthy as possible this summer, if she continues to be sick a lot, we will have to do some bigger testing on Sydney's heart. This is something that both Dr. Etheridge and I don't want to have happen, mostly because Sydney is starting to be scared of the doctors and we don't want to traumatize her any more then necessary.

Also, this past week we babysat the Sonju's dog, Archie,(Sonju fam went to Disney Land), Sydney LOVES Archie! Sydney's word for dog is Archie, all dogs are Archie's and she can say it quite clear. Sydney and Archie are BFF's and we almost didn't give him back when the Sonju's came home on Friday. On Saturday morning the first thing Sydney did was start calling for Archie, she went from room to room patting her leg(the sign for dog) and calling "Archie! Archie!" When there was no Archie to be found, she went up to her Daddy and signed "Archie Please! Archie Please!" I felt so sad that I almost went back to the Sonju's to get him! All through the weekend Sydney has been searching for her BFF Archie. This morning when she was in her high chair eating breakfast she looked at me and signed "dog" then she said "Archie" then she used the sign "love" and cuddled her hands up to face! "Dog... Archie... love!" My heart just about melted into a puddle right there on the floor, as my sweet daughter was trying to tell me that she loves her dog Archie!

Another cute thing Sydney did yesterday during Relief Society, was sign "Signing time please!" over and over! She was letting me know that she has had enough of church and wanted to go home and watch her favorite show "Signing Time." I can hardly wait until Sydney goes to nursery and I can actually sit through more than the first 10 minutes of the lesson before having to go walk the halls with my little screamer!

12 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow!! That is so great about her tests coming back okay!! Congratulations!!

You know, I haven't ever done the whole "signing " thing with my kids but it has always interested me! Oh well, maybe with the next one someday.

Recovery Guru said...

Morgan- For sure check singing out! I love having Sydney be able to communicate with me, she knows a lot of signs and she is even starting to pare words with her signs so her vocabulary is picking up to! In my book it is so worth it!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Yey Sydney! That is awesome all the tests came back so great!

What exactly did you do with her to teach her the signs? Mainly just the movie and going over the signs with her? Let us know - this might even be worth its own post!! hehe :) Teach us!!

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

Yay! I'm so glad that she is doing well, what a relief!! We love signing time too!!

Jamey said...

That is so great that she is doing so well!!! Aspen just started to watch signing time. She loves it. When she was a baby I taught her to at least tell me then she wanted more, or when she was done, so that way it was a little easier. I am still working with Cole on it. But yeah, I love being able to communicate with my kids before they can even talk.

Carlos said...

YEA! I'm so glad her heart is doing so well! It's been a rough winter for everybody, so hopefully she'll stay healthy this summer. Hey, I babysat Archie last time they went to DL, and it was so funny because when they got home he wanted nothing to do with them! They'd call him and he actually put his nose in the air and looked the other way. It's like he was mad for abandoning him! Hehe, what a goof. That's sad that Sydney misses him so much. Maybe you guys should get a Shih Tzu, they don't shed....

Tracy S. said...

That is so cute! Maybe she needs an Archie of her own. My sister just had a baby and am definitely telling her about Signing Time! Glad she got a good bill of health.

Julie Kohler said...

Yay!! I'm so glad the tests went well!! It was such a rotten winter. BTW, you have me hooked on Signing Time, thank goodness for DVR in our house, Ben and Maddi LOVE it, and Ben shows off his new signs to Daddy when he comes home. :) I wish I had started it earlier, but Ben is 3 1/2, and Maddi is 1 1/2, and they are loving it.

Jess said...

That's great about her tests!!!
We love signing time too! It is so amazing how much they pick up on!!

Haven said...

So cute! I'm glad she passed with flying colors.
How fun to have such a love for the dog. I agree that you should try a non-shedding dog should this affection continue. I kind of wish we could have a pet, but there's no room and I have no energy atm. So, I'll just let other people get them for now. :P

McDuffie Family said...

I love signing! Savanna will sign and we'll watch signing time too! I hope sydney is doing well...it sounds like it. we'll keep our fingers crossed and prayers with her. Cute about the dog!

Unknown said...

Such good news!