Sydney has had a cold for the past week....no big deal right....WRONG! This last weekend Sydney would have episodes of screaming and crying as if she was in an intense amount of pain, one of these episodes lasted about 6 hours and ended with her being so exhausted that she fell asleep crying in my arms. Because I couldn't find anything logically wrong with her I was very worried that it might be her heart. Saturday night Sydney spiked a fever of 103.2, so I abandoned my fears of heart problems and started to wonder if her cold had given her ear infections. We took her to Instacare first thing Sunday.......Sydney has bronchitis! Who Knew! She had barely been coughing at all, the instacare doctor said that the screaming fits that Sydney had was the Bronchitis causing pressure on her ears, that caused a lot of pain as well. Bronchitis was a surprising diagnosis but I wasn't to concerned, after all Sydney has been through a lot worse......right?
Last night we had one of the scariest episodes with Sydney that I can remember sense her surgery! Sydney was restless all night so at about 12:30 she ended up in bed with us,. Her poor little body was shaking uncontrollably as her fever began to rise very rabidly. I got her some Tylenol and some cold milk, but she started having trouble breathing and couldn't seem to catch her breath. After a about 10 minutes of this she started coughing and then threw up all the milk that I had fed her. She then continued to throw up lots of thick mucus. Sydney's body was still shaking really hard and she was covered in throw up so we but her in a bath. She shaking so hard in the bath that it would make her fall over, all the while she was still having a hard time breathing. I decided that the bath was not making anything better so I took her out, only to have her start throwing up huge mouthfuls of mucus again. As she was doing this her feet, arms and mouth started turning blue. By this time both Seth and I were freaked out and decided to take her to the E.R. By the time we got there Sydney had calmed down and was breathing better so we took her to get checked out my my Mom(she's a nurse) instead. When we got to my Mom's house Sydney had a raging fever(103), her oxygen saturation's was at 80(not good!) and her pour heart was racing at about 160 beats a minute. My Dad and Seth gave her a blessing and soon after that her saturation's went up to the mid 80's and her heart rate went down! I really don't think I have been this scared about my little Sydney girl in a long time! It took most of the the night to get her temperature to break but after it did she seemed to act okay.
This morning I got Sydney into see her doctor, She said that Sydney doesn't have bronchitis, but pneumonia and ear infections instead. During the examination Sydney became so upset that she threw up everywhere, very narrowly missing her doctor! We got a bunch of prescriptions and went on our merry little way.
So for the other bad news, Sydney can't get her sedated echo while she has pneumonia, it is to risky to sedate her. I don't know when we will be able to reschedule her echo for, but when I tried earlier they said that her cardiologist was booked clear until August. I really hope that we don't have to wait that long to get her heart checked out. Kind of funny that I was so totally sick about her getting her echo done just a few weeks ago, and know I am just as sick about having to cancel it! Also we made hotel reservations and because we had to cancel last minute we lost $150 of the $200 dollars that we paid for the rooms! So I will let everyone one know where we go from here, Sydney should continue to have the high fevers until Wednesday and then hopefully she will start getting better soon after that!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Oh my goodness, so scary. I am so sorry you all had to deal with that. And to lose the $150. What a bummer. When I called to schedule Ashton's cath the hospital gave me a number that you call to get discounted hotel stays. I haven't called it yet to see what it is all about but if you have not heard about this before let me know and I will get you the number. Ray's dad works for the Marriott so we just usually go through him because we can get a really good deal that way, usually. Hope you are all getting some much needed rest and Sydney soon starts to feel herself. And people wonder why we are so anal about keeping our hearts kids away from other sickness. Sydneys case is a prime example. Keeping you in our prayers.
Oh poor little girl! I can't even imagine how scary all of that must have been for you and Seth. That is too bad that you are having to reschedule her echo, but it will all work out. We will keep you in our prayers! Let me know if you need anything!
Oh my you guys!! What a tough time for all of you! I hope that now that they finally pinned down the diagnosis as pneumonia, that the medicine will start helping her breath and rest easier. Hopefully soon they can figure out the rest of the stuff as well with the echo.
Not fun times!
Oh man! I am so sorry! Poor little girl! She's been through so much, she doesn't need this too! Good luck rescheduling. Perhaps they will be able to do it at an earlier time!
Oh no, this makes me so sad!
I hope everything can hurry and work it's self right out so you can have a sense of normal for a while!
You're amazing Caralee, hang in there!
I'm sooo sorry to hear that Sydney is sick...when I was reading your blog it reminded me of a couple of times that we had with Brinley, and always in the middle of the night. We we're so scared--ER visits--so I know how you must have felt. We've always prayed for Sydney and her special heart. I hope things get better real soon...if there is anything we can do for you guys let us know.
Hugs,
Mike
Yikes! I hope everything gets better quick! I hate sick kids. I just had to take Kate to the doctor again today... she has ANOTHER ear infection (third one in 3 months!). It's so awful. We pulled an all nighter on Saturday night because her ear was hurting so bad.
That's so crazy. I just can't believe it! I REALLY hope everything works out okay and that sweet little Syndey can get her strength back and be healthy again. Good luck, Caralee!
Oh poor little sydney!! That must have been so scary for you. I hope everything works out.
Poor thing! Shay told me that Sydney had been feeling sick and screaming a lot. I can't believe all that that poor little girl has gone through! Isn't the power of the priesthood amazing! I hope that you're able to get the echo sooner than August!
I hope she feels better soon, sick kids are so stressful, especially cause its so hard to know what's wrong.
Wow! Caralee, i'm sitting here in tears and scared out of my mind! You are a lot stronger than I! Hang in there.......thank goodness for the priesthood, I hope Sydney is doing better........I'll be praying for you guys, that all will be well and that you won't have to wait so long!
sweet little Sydney will be in my prayers..
good luck with everything.
I am so sorry! This must be so stressful. Our prayers are with you.
Oh no! Poor baby (err, toddler). So sorry to hear that. Do you have 02 at home? Your mom must be handy to have. ...she probably doesn't send a bill like the ER.
We know so well that scarey feeling...we hope she is ok and that all is well now. Get better and find out all you can when she is well...knowledge gives you more peace of mind...the knowing is better. oh you guys are getting a real workout here...
hang in...check out the new pics of david and julie leaving at the airport....
Post a Comment