**This is just my opinion of this book,(opinions can change) and I can totally understand if I am dead to you for my harsh criticism of "Breaking Dawn". Feel free to leave any comment you wish to try to help me see the light again!**

Alright please don't hate me blogger world but I didn't really love "Breaking Dawn", I liked the book but not so sure about the love. Truthfully I was a little disappointed in how the book played out. It seems to me that when Stephanie Meyer wrote this book she said to herself, "What do my readers want in this book and how can I achieve it in the most bizarre/Twisted/Dramatic way imaginable, and what the heck I'll throw in some funky surprises just to spice it up a little." Seriously was she on drugs when she wrote this book?
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Twilight series, and it is still one of my favorite series of all time, but this book was so not what I expected it to be. I will admit that although this book took gigantic leaps into bizarre-o world, I did think that Stephanie Meyer wrapped it up very nicely in the last chapters and I was very happy with the ending. The ending was exactly how I wanted the series to end so I was very pleased with the last several chapters!
I think that maybe part of my problem with this book was that I was reading it with a "mommy mentality". I know that this series target audience is teenagers and young adults. I couldn't help but think that if my daughter was 16 would I want her to read this book. I think that Stephanie Meyer did a pretty tasteful job as she wrote some of the more risque` scenes but I was still a little put off that a good majority of people that are reading this book are in middle school and in my opinion should not be reading some of the more mature themes that where in "Breaking Dawn".
I think that I am going to wait a few weeks and then try reading it again. Maybe by then I will get all the preconceived expectations that I had for this book out of my head, and hopefully I will be able to enjoy the story a little better.
16 comments:
Okay, you know I am a huge twilight fan and my inner-geek really, really, really loved this book. It is exactly how I would have written it myself (if I had all those weird ideas) I too was disappointed in this book a little. It definitely gave me the happy ending that I was so desperately hoping for, so that's good. BUT it seemed that there was no sacrifice. i don't want to go into all the reasons because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read or finished.
Yes, I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing my middle school daughter read it although it was still quite tasteful considering everything.
Like I said, I am satisfied and happy about the happy ending. Its exactly what I wanted....but if I were a professional reviewer, it probably wouldn't be totally pleasant. Lukily I am just me and still the #1 fan.
Sorry for the novel-comment.
I thoroughly enjoyed "Twilight", but "Breaking Dawn" was awful! I couldn't even finish the book. I've coined the term 'Mormon Harlequin romance' for the genre of this book. I'm glad others enjoyed the ending, though.
I liked it. I thought she wrote appropriately.
I second Morgan and would let my kids read too.
Interesting. I might be thee only one who hasn't read this series so I appreciate your honesty and opinion.
Being as though I haven't read any of it I don't have much to go off of but.. the other day the YW in our ward were discussing the book and I was shocked to hear them talking about some of the subject matter. I'm just saying.
I am with Emma on this one because I haven't gotten into the series either. . I don't have the time. However I have sisters and sister in laws that have and I have listened to them talk about it and they really liked it. So, go figure. Maybe in my next life time I will find the time to read the series . . until then, not worried about missing out right now. HeHee!
Heart Hugs,
Carolyn
So I haven't read "Breaking Dawn" yet but I have read the other 3 books. I liked them, but didn't love them. One of my biggest issues was how Edward would just be in Bella's room randomly. I think it has to do with that I have two teenage daughters right now. It didn't bother other people who do not have teenagers. Things affect us differently as we are in different seasons of our lives.
-Carolyn H.
I'm so happy to read this! It seems like everyone else that has blogged about it just go off on how amazing it is.
I was just wondering about your puppy name picks. Is Pika prounced (Pie ka) Like Pica- when pregnant women want to eat dirt or is it prounced Pee ka? Anyway I haven't started on Breaking Dawn yet, but I hear good things from those that have finished it.
Emily- I got the name Pika out of a book I read, is a Norwegian word that means "Girl". It is pronounced "Pee-ca" like Peak-a-boo. Every time I suggest that one Seth has to chime in "Pika-chew" in a weird high pitched voice.*sigh*
@Cryistal: does your comment mean that you agree with me?
Caralee--I haven't read the book so I can't say I really agree, but I'm sure if I read it I would :)
So I am with you I wasn't that fond of this book. I loved the others so much and this one was a little disappointing. I may have had too many expectations of things that were going to happen. Oh well what can you do.
I just finished the book last night and I was also happy with the way it ended. But I felt like she wrote it in a way to please the reader, and she played it a little too safe. I won't be offering to let my little siblings read the book because the first "book" is a little too mature for their innocent little minds. I didn't really hate the book, but I didn't absolutly love it either.
I just potty trained Emily and was wondering how Syndey is doing? I know it can be a crazy process! Also, I LOVE your new background on your blog!
As for the Twilight Series, I have yet to read it because I'm told they are so good that you abandon your kids for a few days with each book. I've been waiting till Wade finishes Real Estate School so he can watch the kids on the weekends, and I can escape to my bedroom to read. :) So next week, I'll start it baby! I'm really excited!
Okay okay - I just finished the book this morning, so I have been saving this post of yours on Google Reader. I really liked Breaking Dawn, but didn't love it as much as the other three. I can't exactly been point why though. I was really happy with how it ended and I loved the first of it. I'm thinking maybe because they dragged out getting all the witnesses gathered. Not sure though. I'm with you - I think I'll re-read it soon.
*Spoilers*
I actually LOVED all the twists that the beginning of the book held because it TOTALLY took me off guard, and I feel like Bella got a win-win situation (with getting married, a kid, and becoming a vampire). As far as the second part of the book with the whole Volturi thing and witnesses, it kind of feels over-dramatic to me. Why couldn't they have just called the Volturi up and explain the whole situation, you know? So that was kind of weird. I did like the ending, and I don't have any daughters yet, but it seems like this book would be the perfect opportunity to open up the subject of sex if it hasn't already been brought up before. You gotta talk about it/ know about it sometime! And you'd be surprised by how much middle schoolers already know. I thought Stephenie did a tasteful job, not to mention that this is the ONE book where sex is actually in the appropriate setting--within marriage.
Post a Comment