Friday, August 3, 2007

On being a Mom

Between these past few sleepless nights Sydney and I have been having, and the many things that seem to be going wrong dreadfully wrong, I have had a lot of time to think about what it is really like being a Mom. I have been thinking about the constant worry and overwhelming love for this tiny person in my care, and I find myself wondering about this tiny miracle that I hold in my arms everyday. I am in awe and wonder at what a strong spirit she must be. Sent to this earth knowing of the many challenges that she was going to face yet so eager and willing to come. I remember how my heart ached as we found out the extent of her heart defects, finding out that she would not only have to have this one surgery to save her life, but many others. The thought of all the pain she would have to endure broke my heart a thousand times over! I remember other sleepless nights sobbing as I held my tiny angel next to my chest willing her little heart to keep working long enough to get to her into surgery. Begging Heavenly Father to take this from her, pleading with him to make her strong to help her to fight through this. The fear that I felt shoot through me as I handed her over to the surgeons, not knowing when, if ever I would hold my baby again. I remember night after sleepless night in the intensive care unit sitting by her bed and stroking her swollen hands and feet, aching to see a sign of life, the tiny movements that meant she was fighting to live. I will never forget the joy I felt finally getting to hold my daughter again my my aching arms, or the very first time she smiled up at me from the circle of my arms. These past few hard days with Sydney's refusing to eat, teething, and coming down with yet another cold, has forced me to remember that things really aren't that bad. My baby is alive! My baby is healthy! My baby is a miracle! Even during the very worst moments these past few days: the puke at two a.m., the diarrhea running down my arms and her legs, the struggle to get her to eat, and the many sleepless nights, I realize what a blessing all these things are. I have been given the chance to serve, mold and love a beautiful and strong Daughter of God! As intimidating as it may be to raise this special spirit I don't think that Heavenly Father would have given me a challenge that I was going to fail doing. In a way it is kind of a compliment that he thinks I may be strong enough to have and raise this sweet little girl in our family! I can clearly see that this task is not going to be easy, that there will be many many times that I will feel as if I might fail. At these moments it helps me to think back to the long journey we have had with our little angel. How scary and intense it was in the beginning and how far she has had to come! She is a bright and happy baby, she is a fighter, and I will fight to! She gives me the inspiration to be a Mom worthy enough to raise and love a daughter like her! I love you Sydney Jo!

11 comments:

Crystal said...

Thank you for that Caralee! It's so hard to keep persective sometimes. I too am so amazed that my baby is healthy. It seems that there are millions of things that can go wrong and it's a miracle to me when nothing does.

I'm so happy your daughter is in such good health! Here's to her!! :)

Kristen said...

Well said! I can sympathize, a little, with feeling so helpless. But, it's amazing how the fighting is contagious. I gained so much strength from Kate's strength and good attitude when she was at the hospital. Thank goodness for medical technology and strong babies!

Brandi Schall said...

Seriously Caralee, you are such an example and such a great mother. I agree, Heavenly Father didn't make a mistake when sending Sydney to you and your husband! Isn't it wonderful and faith confirming to have kids and experience a slice of heaven, and know more deeply the love HF must have for all of us.

Emma said...

That was beautiful.
You are such a good Mom and I am constantly impressed by your strength and faith, even after all that you all have been through in such a short time. A good example to all of us to be greatful.
Thank you.

Recovery Guru said...

You guys are very sweet, thank you for all of your comments! I guess I never realized how hard it was going to be being a mom! -Caralee

Jess said...

Caralee- It's Jessica Thomas(Jones) I saw your comment on Crystal's blog. You have a sweet little family. I went all the way back on your blog to see all that Sydney went through and WOW! What a miracle she is! Being a mother is hard work...but such a blessing. I loved this post. Almost made me cry.

Unknown said...

hi this is Janel Hillstrom (Higham). We went to Pine View together until I moved start of our Junior year. I don't know if you remember me, but anyways-- Thank you for your post. I am expecting our first baby and it seems so overwhelming. I am so happy you daughter is doing so well and has such a strong mom to take care of her.

Julie said...

It really is an honor to be a mother isn't it. Sometimes we may want to pull our hair out, but the hugs and kisses, the smiles and the laughter, and seeing your child do something good, something you have taught her to do... these are all moments that make it all worth it. And it just gets better and better. Keep up the good work Caralee. You are doing a great job!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Caralee - I don't know if you remember me, but I found your blog just barely. What an amazing mother you are. This post touched my heart and I only hope I can be such a great mom as you. I am so happy to hear that your daughter is in good health. Thank you so much for your post!

Pamela (Haslem) Dana
www.danafamily.com

Emily Orison said...

I'm so glad you guys finally got your sweet little girl! Caralee, you are so born to be a mom, you have always been so good with kids. Seth on the other hand, I'm sure is getting quite the education on babies. Best wishes on Sydney's good health!

BTW- you guys take the cutest pictures!

Haven said...

It never seemed so clear to me until I became a mother at how precious life is and what a miracle babies are. Losing children or coming close to losing them is the hardest thing I think we as mothers face during our lifetime. We have to remember to enjoy every moment and revel in the fact that once this life ends, there will be more!

Lots of love from us!